Websites can be blocked at three levels: Computer level, Network level or the ISP/Governmental level. Some DNS services, such as Open DNS, too provide options to block certain types of websites for different users sharing the computer. Then, there is some software other than the built-in “Restricted Websites” in Internet Options that help in blocking a website. We’ll not be talking about how to block a website. Rather, we’ll focus on how to access a website that is restricted on your workstation by network admins and ISPs (Internet Service Provider).
Now for the solution to the problem you need to know something about the blocking system. If you are trying to access a website that is blocked by somewhat. Then you need to focus on the system of blocking. Some blocking system like Computer Level and Router Related Blocking (Blocking by MAC address) is a little harder than another way of blocking. For example, Open DNS employs category system, and if you wish to go to a category that your parents have chosen to block it for you, it will provide a notification.
Check some of the options on your device (Computer or Mobile)
- Is the internet connection is OK?
- You are able to access some of the websites on the specific network but on the other network you can access all the websites. (Then you are sure about the blocking system, it's a Network Level Blocking)
- Taking so much time and after that showing a message (This site can't be reached) - Then it may be ISP/Governmental Level.
How to unblock blocked websites:
Use VPN for unblocking
Download a browser that has a built-in VPN or DNS and IP protocol services. Like Opera Browser or Tor Browser Now giving you the opportunity to use VPN while you are using the internet. That's also helpful for safe internet browsing.
Tor browser comes with IP and VPN system especially for browsing blocked website but it is has made censor in some country. Or it has many bad reports too, this browser is used for hacking.
On the other hand, Opera now offering free VPN service with there browser and that can be helpful to unblock any website through your smartphone or computer. Because of opera available on any platform. But in the smartphone, you have to use Opera, not Opera Mini. After downloading Opera Browser you can active VPN from browser settings. Then you are ready to browse any website.
How to active VPN on Opera Browser
- Open Opera Browser after installation. If you have opera offline installation package(batter you install it from online), please make sure you updated your Opera Browser.
- Go to the Opera Browser setting page.
- Then go to advance and find VPN and turn on.
- If you need a specific region, select the region or select Optimal Location.
Use IP Rather Than URL
Most of you might know that each website’s URL has an IP address and the authorities blocking the site might have just stored the URL instead of the IP. In that case, you can use the IP address of a site to open banned webpages in your Chrome browser.
- On Windows, type tracert websitename.com in command prompt to get the IP address.
- On Mac, open Network Utility, click Traceroute option at the top and enter the website address to find its IP address.
- For iPhone and Android, find apps with name Traceroute on App Store and Play Store.
- On Linux, type dig websitename.com in Terminal to get the IP address.
Now enter this IP address in your web browser’s address bar and hit Enter to visit “access denied” websites. Similar tools and commands can also be used on other platforms like Mac, Linux, Android, etc.